Why You Shouldn’t Use Twitter to Post LinkedIn Status Updates

By LinkedIn Ninja | Branding with LinkedIn

Dec 07

I’m going to hazard a guess here…if you’re using Twitter to send status updates to LinkedIn, you’re probably not spending a ton of time in LinkedIn. That also means that you might not have noticed the small print change to LinkedIn that is harming your social media efforts as a result of the choice you made to try and streamline your social media activity.

History of LinkedIn and Twitter Integration

When LinkedIn first added integration with Twitter, if you pulled tweets into LinkedIn, they became standard LinkedIn status updates. That meant that you could interact with them only as LinkedIn status updates. At that time, LinkedIn didn’t have the “Like” feature so you could only comment or reply privately. Additionally, when it first started the link attachment and pulled in article feeds to status updates, any tweets with such links were just listed as links and the feed wasn’t pulled in.

The next evolution added the ability to adapt your Twitter settings to pull in the feed that LinkedIn saw attached to your link to give it the same visibility as a LinkedIn status update, but it still became a LinkedIn status update with interaction via LinkedIn only. LinkedIn added the “Like” functionality that would allow you to send someone’s status update or tweet out to your entire network’s news feed telling them you “Liked” it.

For a very brief time, we had advanced double integration. When you sent a tweet into LinkedIn as a status update, you could interact with it as Twitter with controls to Retweet, Favorite and Reply AND you could interact with it via LinkedIn with controls to Like, Comment or Share. Interact with both networks directly in LinkedIn!

The Status of Status Updates Today

Now, if you send your tweet into LinkedIn, it stays a tweet. What that means is that there are no controls for your LinkedIn network to interact with the tweet inside LinkedIn. They can only Retweet, Reply and Favorite. No Liking…No Commenting…No Sharing.

THAT MEANS that you’re missing out on a huge opportunity for your LinkedIn network to share you and increase your visibility. There are a lot of people on LinkedIn who don’t have Twitter accounts, so you’ve essentially eliminated their ability to help you get the word out and to share your information with their network.

The Solution

If you’re only using LinkedIn and Twitter, then launch your status updates from LinkedIn and you can check the little box to send them out to Twitter. If you’ve tied your Twitter account to LinkedIn and you’re using the mobile app, then the status updates automatically go out to Twitter. If your social media activities include other social networks, then use a social media dashboard that allows you to post to each social network as if it’s an original status update.

So, will this change how you do LinkedIn Status Updates?

About the Author

Crystal Thies has been known as the LinkedIn Ninja since founding her company, Crystal Clear Buzz, in 2009. Although well versed and experienced in all social media, Crystal specializes in the utilization of LinkedIn for sales and business development. As a past financial planner, Crystal is one of the few social media strategists with expertise to work with those regulated by FINRA, the SEC, and IIROC. She is the co-author of “The Social Media Handbook for Financial Advisors” published by Bloomberg Press.

Leave a Comment:

(26) comments

[…] LinkedIn Expert Crystal Thies explains in her article, by updating your LinkedIn Status from Twitter, you exclude from the conversation those people […]

Smarty Person May 24, 2012

Crystal – Thanks for this post. Maybe you can help me with something.. I’m an admin for my company’s social network sites (FB, Twitter, and LinkedIn) The problem I’m having is with linking the company Twitter account to the COMPANY LinkedIn account.
In other words, at this time when I post from the company twitter account, it appears on my personal linked in updates as you described in this article, but not in the company updates where we need it to be.
If i post from my personal linkedin page, the check box appears to send that update as a tweet also. However, If I were to post from the company LinkedIn page, the check box does not appear, and I can’t share it to twitter.
How can I get our tweets to show up in the Company linked in updates?

Crystal Thies May 24, 2012

At this point, LinkedIn isn’t allowing any other social network or social media dashboard to post directly to the Company Page status updates. It has to be completely manual.

For new Company Pages, there is no way to tie outgoing status updates to a Twitter account anymore, but older Company Pages from the earlier platform that had Twitter integration automatically post out to the Twitter account that was attached to it and there’s no way to stop it. Strange, but true.

Believe me, I am waiting not so patiently for the ability to post Company Page status updates through an API because I do use a dashboard. If you connect with me or follow my Company Page on LinkedIn, you’ll know as soon as I do because I will be shouting it to the high heavens:-)

Wish I could be of more help.

Maxol Finance December 30, 2011

This is a goody..

Michael Rajiv Shah December 19, 2011

Dear Crystal, many thanks for your posting. I got following confirmation from Esteban Kozak through the German LinkedIn Director on 1st December:

> Twitter’s display guidelines does not allow us to have LinkedIn actions next to theirs. So, we had to take them down 2 weeks ago. http://bit.ly/Twitter_guideline_at_LinkedIn

But I wonder, why Apps are not falling under Twitter’s display guidlines or the other way around, for how long Buffer, Twitterfeed, Hootsuite, Tweetdeck & Co. will be able to do so?

Daniel Rivalin December 15, 2011

thanks for info – indeed I missed the switch in strategy

eric koekkoek December 15, 2011

Tx Crystal, for the info. Very usefull.

Lynn Brown December 14, 2011

Really good advice Matthew.  I have always used the Linkedin Status box and that is how I show my clients as well.  But I really enjoyed the history behind Linkedin and Twitter.  Plus, if you don’t mind, I would like to link back to your post here so I can share this good information.

Bill Leinweber December 12, 2011

Thanks for sharing this, Crystal. The social media app changes come fast and furious and it is sometimes hard to keep up. I’ve always preferred using LinkedIn to post status and “push” to Twitter. I also notice some folks will have a duplicate status in LI and the dupe will often say “From Twitter.” I suspect their using a site like HootSuite so they post to LI and Twitter and forget they have a feed from Twitter. Thanks again!

Crystal Thies December 12, 2011

Bill,

Actually, if they are posting from a dashboard and from Twitter, then you will see 2 different status updates that come in at the same time. If it says “via Twitter” then the have their LinkedIn Twitter setting set to pull in all tweets regardless of if they are using the hashtag #in. There have to be duplicate postings if they are using a third party dashboard like HootSuite and have their Twitter settings incorrectly set to have duplicate settings. If there is only one status update saying via Twitter, then there is no dashboard in play.

Larry December 9, 2011

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the information.  I use TweetDeck to send to my Tweets to LI account and my FB Business page.  I looked at that and it was still working today.  So the dash is still alive at least.

Cheers,

Larry

Mike McJilton December 9, 2011

Thanks, useful content.

David Huesgen December 9, 2011

WOW Crystal … while per my earlier post, I mentioned that I generally use a social media dashboard for managing my posts across all of my social networks (as I learned via Emprove Performance Group’s CSS 2.0), your comments relating to this topic are excellent and very timely …!  Thank your for your input and related guidance in this regard!!

Kathy December 8, 2011

what about if you use a multi function posting site like ping.fm? Will that affect my posts on LinkedIn? I suppose, I should just post something and find out. Thanks for this article though, I am not a big Twitter user, but use it because so many people do. I prefer LinkedIn and Facebook, to be honest!

Crystal Thies December 8, 2011

Kathy – Ping.fm is similar to a social media dashboard. As long as you are selecting to post it directly to LinkedIn, then it should post independently as a status update. I did have a comment from someone who was using HootSuite to post to Twitter and using the #in hashtag to send the tweet into LinkedIn and that doesn’t work. They realized that they have to click on the post to LinkedIn button to send it separately.

The great part about Twitter is that it can be unpredictable and you never know when something is going to fly. If you’re posting to LinkedIn and Facebook, you have little to lose by sending the update into to Twittersphere while you’re at it. Just don’t do it the other way around:-)

Alexa Samuels December 8, 2011

And I thought I was the only one who noticed! Do you have any idea why LinkedIn made this (unfortunate) change?

Another change I just noticed is that that LinkedIn combined the Twitter profile link and follow functions, so now if you want to check out someone on Twitter you automatically follow them.

What is LinkedIn thinking? Is this user friendly?

Crystal Thies December 8, 2011

Unfortunately, LinkedIn rarely explains their actions. When I put myself in LinkedIn’s shoes, I would have done it to encourage people from being absentee posters to get them to come directly into LinkedIn and post. If enough people start complaining to the Twitter posters that they can’t share their LinkedIn status updates, it could change the action of those people giving LinkedIn increased traffic and page views which they need for their advertisers.

The Twitter change is super new. They had had the follow button with the link to the Twitter profile next to it and I see that is something they took away. That is decreased functionality to our detriment.

Maybe for some bizarre reason they are trying to help Twitter?? The combination of both of those changes actually is good for Twitter – at least in the short term. People are retweeting directly from LinkedIn and automatically following people from LinkedIn.

I’ll have to think on that one for a while and watch what develops. Thanks for the heads up because I hadn’t noticed it yet.

Omar El-Mohri December 8, 2011

I always do it through Twitter, but now will think about a way to do it in another way.

Aldo E Moller December 8, 2011

Tweeting from LinkeIn, but good article to bring back fresh perspective when using social media

David Huesgen December 8, 2011

I use Hootsuite to manage postings to all of my social networks!

Lesley Dewar December 8, 2011

I always tweet to Twitter from LinkedIn – especially if sharing a discussion on LinkedIn or comments on a discussion.  Tweets going direct to LinkedIn have to be short and do not always suit the LinkedIn audience. I really do not like to see streams of tweets in a LinkedIn Profile and no real LinkedIn interaction. Personally, I think it is a good move by LinkedIn to make LinkedIn users be more engaged.

Michelle Hummel December 8, 2011

Great information thank you for sharing Crystal!

Anonymous December 8, 2011

WORD, sister!!… there are few things more annoying, and one place you don’t want to have your feed turned off is on LinkedIn!

Rick Sammons December 8, 2011

Thank you for this information. Very helpful in how I can orient where I post, and how that post will act.

Steve Platt December 8, 2011

Outstanding insight Crystal! Another contribution to the selling world’s use of LinkedIn. Anyone working to consistently deliver message, deepen connection and to build relationships of enduring value will move to post first in LinkedIn. Thanks for the direction. Happy Holidays Crystal!

Tangbrandt December 8, 2011

Thanks for the update.  I have been using LinkedIn for posting my updates with a link to Twitter.  Not the other way around.  It seemed the best route for me, but I didn’t realize it would be a problem to start with updates at Twitter.

Add Your Reply